Keywords in SEO Content |Content Writing.Blog
Selecting Right Keywords and Making Content Woo
Keyword research and their right placing in the content are necessary. Creating content that is visible in the search results has to has the right keywords. Search queries or search terms used by the searcher in the browser window, form as a keyword. It may be a head-term or long-tail keyword. Down the line we will learn, selecting the right keyword by, brainstorming the keyword ideas, the role of keywords in page optimization, broad match search queries, and long-tail keywords for a specific search.
Searching the right keyword is one of the functions of SEO. He makes the page optimization well and ensures that the website page is optimized and appears well in search engine ranking. Therefore, for on-page optimization, make use of the best keywords in the Title Tag, Meta Tags, and Meta description. SEO is the person always at the lookout to see, what the people search volume trends are?
One thing is very clear, that as SEO, you help the client to build his website, high in search ranking.
Right keyword Must for Search engine Optimization
A keyword is nothing but a search query, placed by the searchers in google search, to find the product or services of his interest. As he needs it and you are offering it.
|We take the example of Mr.x interested to buy a book about Search engine optimization. He wants to learn some basic knowledge of search engine optimization by reading books. He enters a search query in Google search for “book”. As a result, Mr.x gets a number of results on the first page of his browser for the books, but it is likely that Mr.x visits only number one result and then maybe any other number on the page and finds the books of all kind, whereas, not related to Search Engine Optimization and consequently, quits the page.
Then, he enters the search query as “SEO book” and finds a number of SEO related books written by different authors. While in his next search, he enters a more specific query, like “ SEO book by Mr.A”. As a result, now in his search browser, he will get the books only written by Mr.A.
First Thing First Understand Your Audience
For targeting searchable and right keywords that direct your target audience to your site, First of all, you need to understand your audience, only then you will reach your audience. let’s think about some search terms, words, and phrases, people may search to find your website. Examine these for relevance and importance to your target audience in relation to your website. To do this you need to understand the psychology behind the search, as to how people are likely to search for your product or service and why they have chosen these search terms, words, or phrases?
To solve this riddle, make the personas of your ideal customer. Personas are the fictional character of your ideal customer. Wikipedia explains personas very nicely.
With the understanding of your target customers, you will be in a better position to select the most appropriate keywords for your website. Hence, keywords so selected, which are based on relevance, search volume, and competitiveness, will attract and retain a large number of target customers on your website.
Role of Keywords in Search Results
After keyword research, SEO knows exactly, what people are searching online and what they are looking for. SEO is the one, who devise methodology, to reach out to your audience. And deliver the information, they are seeking, with the help of search terms, words, or phrases they are using.
Even the best of the best-looking websites can’t be found unless they have the relevant content, weaved with the terms and phrases people are searching for. Basically, these words and phrases are the search queries, later we call these as keywords.
Role of Search Intent in the Buying Journey
Remember one thing, that different people search the internet with different intents. It’s the job of SEO, to understand the intent of the searcher when selecting the keywords:-
- His intent could be just obtaining information on some topics.
- A searcher may be interested to buy something, or
- He is just searching to get some ideas for something but has no intent to purchase anything.
There are a variety of different reasons, that will make the searcher think and formulate his search query. You must have noticed that people come up with different search queries for a similar product or service. Anyway, whatever the search query you enter, Google will display the most relevant content, pertaining to your search query available on the web. Hence, this proves that the relevance of keywords, matters for your website page article, as well as, for the website.
Categories of Search Intent of Your Audience
The intent of the searcher matters and it divide the searches into different categories. These categories of searches, clearly indicate the intent of your buyer persona. The categories are:-
The path of searcher from navigating the web, obtaining the information for the product or service, and finally responding to the call-to-action, as desired by the marketer, is called the buyer’s journey. All types of queries are closely aligned with the stages of the buying funnel. So, understanding these elements is important, to take the right decision in choosing the best keywords, for that stage of searchers buying funnel.
- Navigational Search Query: In this type of search, the searcher has some specific site in his mind. The searcher will just visit that particular website or brand name directly and visit the brand results for that page. These types of queries are brand-focused, thus require little to no page optimization. Brand focused searchers are more engaged with that particular website, as a result, get a better conversion rate.
- Informational Search Query: These types of searchers are more inquisitive and look for a bit more information, about any topic or product or service they want to have. They seek information, before making any decision. This is somewhat is the start of buying funnel.
- Transactional search query: At this stage of the buyer’s journey, the searcher is ready to buy or take some other action. i.e. buy transaction, subscribe for an e-Newsletter, create a free account or fill a form to get some free PDF eBook and so on.
Now you have the knowledge about the audience, their intents, the psychology behind the search, and the categories of search in the buying funnel. And now we are well prepared to dive deep into learning the selection method of keywords.
Choosing the Right Keywords for SEO
When choosing the right keywords for page optimization, you as SEO keep one important point in mind that selecting broad or general keywords might attract more traffic but conversion will be seldom. For conversions, that means committing the customer to respond to call-to-action, your keyword has to be specific (Long-tail or Mid-tail).
As in the above example, we learned that a searcher was interested to learn search engine optimization and wanted to buy an SEO book. Once he just searched for Books, he saw a number of different results, for all kinds of books. But all books were not relevant to his interest. When he searched for SEO books, he saw the results for only search engine optimization related books. Later, he further narrowed down his query and added the author’s name as well. Now, Google Search Engine displayed the results, only for the books on search engine optimization written by the author you asked. (That is the relevant search).
Types of Keyword
It is an established fact that keywords play an important role in building authority for your website and get the attention of searchers, as well as bots. Different types of keywords are:-
- And Long Tail Keywords
Head term keyword is general, mid-tail is little more specific while narrowing the search query phrase, by putting in more detail and specific are called long-tail keywords.
To clarify further, a searcher can make the queries in a general single word or in several words. Like we made queries as; Books, SEO books, and SEO books by Mr.X.
Keywords length dictates whether its short or long-tail keywords and it matters a lot. A single word or phrase of multiple words (which is called long-tail keywords) all bring different effect in the search results on search traffic and conversion rate. A search engine will show the results to the nearest relevant to your search query.
Head Term or Short Keywords
These are broad, and consist of one or two words, as only “Books. Although, it will bring a lot of search volume as it is more competitive and broad in nature. Meaning by conversion will be seldom.
Mid to Longtail
These consist of more than one word and a little more specific like SEO Books. These keywords are easy to guess and optimize as well.
These are more specific, as to reach this stage, the user has carried out all the research and gathered all the information and now, he wants a specific product or service with clear cut specifications. As SEO Books with the Author name.
This type of query is also called transactional query where the user knows what exactly he wants after his research work and information gathering in the buying funnel. Although this will bring a low volume of traffic. But the good thing is that the conversion rate is high.
For building long-tail keywords, there are different ways to turn the single word keyword into a long tail. By joining various head tail keywords, and creating a meaningful phrase related to the topic will form a variety of long-tailed keywords. Build the keyword list, and group these in the keyword niche form easy management.
The following illustration will give you further understanding, the effects of the head, tail, and long-tail keyword with regard to search volume and conversion:
Effect of Head, Mid tail and Long Tail Keywords
In the above illustration, you have witnessed, how the number of words in a keyword affects the traffic and ROI. Anyhow, It all depends on your business model whether you want more traffic and divert it to some other website or you want traffic which converts on your website.
Mostly when people carryout the search they type 2-3 words while 30% of people write one-word keywords. And rest use more than 3 words or more phrases (long-tail keyword).
Right Keywords for Higher Search Ranking in SERP
Website optimization by the search engine is wholesome of many other Search engine optimization factors, other than keywords. Like, On-page optimization, backlink, blogging, social media campaigns, directories submit, videos and photographs, and many technical factors. Although all these play a role in search engine ranking. But, the reality of keywords cannot be undermined.
The determining fact is that if you want to see your website on the first page and achieve top position in the SERP, one of the important factors is, to choose the well-researched keywords, and position these, at the right place in the content.
In on-page optimization, make sure to place the best keywords in the Title Tags, Heading Tags, and Meta Description. But do follow the webmaster’s best practices, with regard to a number of keywords to use in meta tags, Meta description, and on-page content. Maintain the permissible keyword density when creating content. Keywords placement in the content should be organic and logical. Readers dislike an abundance of keywords in the content.
The truth is that no SEO can succeed with the wrong keywords. At the same time, keywords are not the only factor to succeed in achieving a higher search ranking.
Remember, you want maximum revenue, meaning by converts. So try to be specific, means make use of long-tail keywords. It’s easy to optimize and rank for unique phrases with lesser competition. A longer and more targeted keyword phrase is more focused so these will get you more targeted traffic on your website that converts.
Method of Choosing keywords
There are various methods to choose a keyword. Everybody will advise you to select the best keywords to create quality content but nobody tells the process by which to choose the best keywords. Here, I will guide you to choose the best keyword with the help of free tools.
There are various steps involved in selecting the keywords and as well as different methods. The method involves are:-
- A manual method of finding keywords and
- Using Free keyword tools
We will discuss only the free keyword methods to find new keywords. Free keyword research methods are equally compatible with the paid keyword tool method. However, these free keyword selecting methods are economical for beginners in the SEO field. Some free keyword tools are also available in the market but with restricted and limited options. Best is to use the Google keyword planner tool for selecting the keywords. For research and analysis purposes, use Google Analytics, Google trends, and even Google search console. These all are free and very useful. I use these, these are the most reliable tools. With some efforts, here we will achieve the best results by doing things manually and without any cost.
Tips for building the List of Keywords
- Get the keyword ideas from anywhere, hence get keyword suggestions from family and friends, as what type of search queries they formulate for a topic.
- Make a list of keyword ideas page, place the keywords into small groups for better management. Make a separate list of the most popular keywords.
- When building the keyword list adopt the principle of “Build and Scale”. As a result, your keyword list will get fatter with every passing day.
- Always segregate the keywords by industry, the same keywords can’t fit in for all industries.
- Your keyword list must contain the keyword ideas and historical background for better placement in the content and for better relevance.
- Always keep your keyword list updated, by including the new keywords while exclude keywords having lost the relevance with the topic these were selected for.
- Choose the keywords with relevance, search volume, and low competition. Then, select keywords for each page with relevance to the topic. Not the same keywords for the entire website, that won’t work.
- Use broad match keywords, if you are just interested in search traffic but the conversion rate will be very low. For best ROI use 2-3 word phrases and for more conversion, be specific, use long-tail keywords.
- When creating a content place the highly relevant keywords at the beginning of the page i.e. SEO title, URL, Meta tags, Meta description, and Heading tags. Especially, it is necessary for the sale and other conversations.
- When creating content, keep in mind the economics of quality score as that comes with the use of relevant keywords.
- If you have the blog, then blog posts should be website-related and so are the keywords, related to the topic of the post.
Process of selecting the keywords
To start with, just exercise your brain and stretch your imagination and think of some keyword phrases related to your website.
1st Step: Make a list of every word or phrase you think people can think of, for formulating the search query to find the product or service your website offers. Also, ask your colleagues and peers or for that matter anyone who can give you some idea. Put each keyword/phrase into an Excel spreadsheet as a separate record.
2nd Step: As you have now gathered a list of single-word phrases, now is the time to make these in multi-word phrases. Join the single word keywords to make a phrase of multiple words that best describes your product or service. Get the idea from the target audience.
3rd Step: Use the web to get more keywords. Google Search engine database will get you the actual words people are searching. As you have already some words use them in the Google search engine to get more and more ideas for keywords. Make use of following free keyword tools and analytics resources as well:-
- Make use of Google’s Keyword Tool.
- Another helpful tool is Google trends.
- It will help in analytics Google Analytics.
- Google Search Console:
- Keyword discovery.
4th Step: Find the keyword your competitors are using, spy a little on your competitors. For that place a keyword or phrase related to your website which you have gathered so far, in the google search engine and here you will get the top competitors for a particular keyword. Examine these and find who actually your competitors are using these keywords.
How to Use Google Keyword Planner (Free Tool)
Go to the Google keyword planner tool and enter the URL you have copied from the browser into the URL field of Google keyword tool. New Google Keyword Planner has been launched with the new name as under, with additional features.
Keyword Research & Strategy with Keyword Planner – Google Ads
If you feel difficulty, just learn on YouTube the tutorial by Allison Lindstrom.
Enter your keyword or phrase and Just wait; see Google Ads word planner will give you a great list of keywords your competitor is using,
Very Important: Go to the Tab (Ad group Idea) in the Google Keyword Planner Tool ideas are sorted by groups. Select the group of the products you offer and would like to promote. Similarly, find the keywords for other competitors and grow the list of useful keywords.
Another way is to find the keywords used by the competitors in the Meta <keywords>tags. Although this practice of using keywords in the Meta tag has been abolished by google still people are using and those who already had but did not alter the source code. For that go to the home page of the website, click right and hit source code in the window or click ctrl+U, then click ctrl+F and enter the word <keyword>, The tag is highlighted followed by the keywords, note these.
So the first method is complete while other is by using the keyword tools. There are plenty of tools available in the market, some are the free tool and some charge. Anyway carry out your own analysis for selecting the keyword tool, assess the usefulness and cost to business ratio, and select the one which suits you. But I will not advise if you are not an agency. Just use free resources and the best is Google keyword planner.
How to shortlist the appropriate Keywords/Phrase
You have gathered a list of keywords/phrases and now is the time to shortlist the most appropriate keywords for your website page. You can do this task manually and free of cost. Although, tools with cost are available in the market to do the same job as well. Anyway, we will start with the manual process which is free.
To finalize SEO keywords, assess the keywords on the scale of the Keyword Efficiency Index (KEI). This how you will find the best keywords; those will bring traffic volume to your website. This is a very important stage in the process of search engine optimization.
There are three elements to be considered to measure the importance and usefulness of any keyword and get the Keyword Efficiency Index. These elements are:-
- Relevance: Describes how close the keywords are to what your website is offering. And distinguish it as Excellent, Good, and poor and number these respectively as 1, 2, 3. Make a spreadsheet and put the appropriate relevance grade under the heading Relevance.
- Search Volume: How many searches are being done for a particular keyword in a month is called, the keyword search volume for that keyword? To find the search volume data use Google Ads word. To find the specifics just fix the filters like desired match type, region, language, and devices. In the match type further highlight:-
Broad Match type
Choosing an Exact Match
You will get the search volume data; put this search volume data in the spreadsheet after the relevance.
- Competition: You need to determine your competitors, as how many websites try to rank for the same keyword. All sites using the same keywords are your competitors. And if the fewer sites are optimized for this keyword that keyword has better KEI. However, checking the competition is simple. Just place the keyword in Google search and you will get the competitors.
Place the figure of competition in the spreadsheet after the search volume data.
What is keyword Efficiency Index
Now let’s see the Keyword Efficiency Index (KEI) formula and put the values of Relevance, Search volume data and Competition figure, in the formula below for every keyword:-
You can apply this formula in the excel sheet as well, to work out KEI automatically. You Just have to put the value for relevance, search volume data, and competition figure. Excel will work out KEI in the separate column in your spreadsheet. It will look like this:-
You have worked out the KEI for all the keywords, now just sort out the list as per KEI. Higher the KEI, the better is the keyword.
For your website you just need the top 5 keywords to optimize, color them for identification. Use these top, targeted keywords in your content in the first turn. Then choose the next following 30-40 keywords and mark them with any other color for identification purposes only. Use them as an alternative and then next about 70-80 keywords, mark them in the same way and use them as a supplemental.
This is all about shortlisting the keywords. Anyway, various tools are also there in the market to do all this but with the cost.
Analysis and Ranking Report
Once you are done with shortlisting of keywords, create content by using the keywords at the appropriate places on your website page.
It’s time to check how your website is doing. Without measuring the progress you won’t know for sure that you’re doing the things in the right way.
Normally SEO makes their keyword report once in a week but there is no bar, you can do it even daily. But how to do it!
You can do it manually by typing the keyword in the Google search engine and finding your rank. Following free tools are also available, make use of them:
- You have learned how people formulate the search query to find the product or service in the search engines.
- Now you have a lot of tips with regard to keyword selection, making a list of keywords, Grouping, and management and to create content using the best of the best keywords.
- You learned to convert the three important elements relevance, Search Volume, and competition into Keyword Efficiency Index (KEI). And shortlisting of keywords as per KEI. Higher the KEI better the keyword is.
- Furthermore, now you are abreast with the knowledge to select great keywords to optimize your website and create a ranking report to find that you are doing the things in the right way.
By now you are fully prepared to take a good start for your website.