Content Writing Guidelines for business Website
Website Content Writing Guidelines for your Online Business
Any online business is identified with the website. Website is your digital footprint, connecting you with your audience on a global scale. So the website has to be credible and authority in your respective niche. Website should be easy to navigate so that your visitor can reach the desired information in an easy way. At the same time make it easy for them to reach you as well.
When building the website keep on following elements in mind to have an impressive and optimized website.
- Think like a human, your site will be accepted by the humans as well as bots.
- Incorporate SEO from the beginning.
- Identify commonly searched keywords.
- Consider the URL structure that is easy to navigate.
- Select the responsive design.
- Consider to add analytics tracking (Google Analytics being the best) to your site.
Think Like Humans:
The content on your website should be that your audience want or need to know. It should be valuable and useful to them. It is the truth that for any type of information we search the internet, while Google being on the top of the search engines list, even some time we call “let’s Google It”. And hat off to Google that it serves us with the most relevant information, we are seeking for. We can very easily conclude from this fact that the information served by Google on the first page is most relevant and of high quality content which really appeals us.
What is High Quality content?
Any content that is human focused and provides valuable information which people like and share it, we can conveniently call it a quality content. Quality content attracts lots of visitors because that site has a rich and quality information valuable to their audience. And search engines will give preference to that site.
Note: Writing content that just attracts the search engines might give you a quick success but in long run, one day Google algorithm will get you. Google algorithm likes quality content that is fresh, engaging and relevant to your audience.
Websites are for Human Use:
Think like humans as your site will be interacted by humans who think like you. Now Google has full command to recognize full sentence queries and responds to the queries in an efficient way by displaying the most relevant results on the first page, leaving the ads aside.
Google displays human focused content crafted for the use of humans and delivers value to the visitor. Irrelevant content coming from content farms is not graded well in the eyes of search engines. So always add value to your content published on the website, social media or blog comments.
If your content is valuable, people will read and share it with other people and you will get the back links automatically. No need to go to the link farms.
Speak in the tone and language, people speak and understand, rest assured this is the time people will start asking advice from you.
Just some Tips for Website Content:
- Content should be human focused and valuable.
- Concise content, no need to overstate your view point (your website visitors are busy people they want to quickly review the desired content).
- Be specific to the Topic, your visitor want unambiguous and definite content, just concentrating on one topic.
- Grammar and spelling errors give poor impression of your text and unprofessional attitude towards business. Your web copy is your business, check and recheck for grammar and spelling errors.
- Incorporate your important information or promise upfront in your text, in the beginning.
- Present yourself as a authority on your subject, nobody knows your product or service more than you.
- Place relevant images at the appropriate place in the text. Images improves visual appeal and puts life in the content.
- Website content is different than other types of writings. Format the text for the web, that is:
- Focus on one paragraph per topic.
- Keep the paragraphs short but meaty, leave optimum white space between paragraphs.
- Keep the sentences short, even in bullet form is better.
- Write headings and subheadings so it is easy to understand for reader. Use researched keywords relevant to the topic in headings and subheadings.
- Use internal links to connect the reader with related topics on your website.
Rule of Thumb is your website should be read well for the humans and not for the Search engines.
Incorporate SEO from start:
No doubt the features appealing to your eye are good for you, for audience it will only be possible if you reach your audience. If your site is not crawled, not indexed and not optimized, all of your features are of no use.
SEO is the answer to all this, you have to ingrain SEO in your website strategy and planning. Consider discover-ability and accessibility of your website at the content strategy stage, involve the SEO team right from the beginning. So that the structure of your site builds on strong footing.
Once we talk of SEO, keywords cannot be detached in SEO planning. Keywords are very relevant that what the Google want you should consider so that your website responds well to the queries of searchers but avoid keyword stuffing at the same time. Let the keywords work organically and fitting in your content naturally, bots will love it.
When selecting keywords, think about the words and phrases, users type in the search engines to find the desired information. Include these words and phrases so that once user puts the query, you are the one to be on the top of page.
Some Tips for SEO:
- If any keyword doesn’t contribute to educate the visitor, it’s misfit.
- Each page should be focused on single keywords and may be used for maximum up to 5 times.
- Your focus keyword should be included in the title tag, Meta description and H1 heading, but it must be relevant to the topic of discussion in the article.
- When selecting keywords keep these cardinal points in mind:
- Your customer/Audience behavior (Make persona of your ideal customer),
- Industry trends for the website under consideration,
- Your Competitors in the relevant industry,
- Build a list of targeted terms for easy to use.
- When building a website, your most important focus should be content while you cannot detach SEO when crafting content for website. Well researched keywords and your SEO strategy should be deliberated through the beginning. Let me assure you it will give you a big leap.
- Keep this thing in mind that keywords are not something inimitable, it’s all what people type in the search engine query. It’s the human, your best customer searching the product, service or advice from Google. Think the same way as the customer is thinking at different stages of buying cycle.
URL structure- Make it for easy Navigation:
URLs are the first thing the prospect will see and the same case for search engines. You URLs must align with the actual content of your website. URLs should:
- Be static with logical folder structure and descriptive. (Avoid dynamic URL strings)
- Not be lengthy
- Easy to comprehend by the visitor.
- Contain keywords if possible. As targeted and relevant keywords pass the information to the visitor upfront, whether the page is informational or transnational.
SEO plays a big role here as well, just like searchers, search engines also prefer easy to read and understandable URL to make sense of content on your page of website. SEO friendly structure will help the search engines in the process of indexation.
Use the (-) dash and (_) underscore with understanding. AS;
(-) Dash, is a separator and Google will return the result of query even for match of a single word present in the URL although phrase is containing more words.
(_) Underscore, is treated as connector by the Google and it will display the search result only when it matches the whole phrase.
As a result, (-) dash creates more chances of discover-ability in the search results.
Responsive design for All Devices:
If the design of your website is responsive, all of your website’s URLs will appear same across all devices i.e. Desktop, Laptop, Mobile or the tablet and fits all sizes of screens. Google gives preferences to the mobile optimized websites so the answer is responsive design. It gives a great browsing experience to the searchers of mobile users.
Google Analytics for Tracking:
No online business can succeed unless you measure the performance. I found the Google analytics as the best tracking tool for monitoring a website. It gives the opportunity to fetch data:
- On website performance
- Is your content working
- Are your keywords coming up in the queries
- Is URL of your site is easy to navigate
For sure success monitoring the key metrics is essential.
To conclude, put in simple words, publish the content on your website that your audience want or need to know, not that you want to deliver the content to them, feeling as it is useful for them. And do not encompass everything in one article as the readers feel frustrated if sifting is needed from the heap of information.
Want to add your Feedback to improve us; welcome to comment section.